DO WE USE PAINT BRUSHES AT THE COST OF KILLING ANIMALS?
In 1991 , Schedule IV of the Indian Wildlife Protection Act made killing of mongoose and use of mongoose products illegal . Despite the ban , most paint brushes manufacturers , traders and retailers in India continue to make brushes in mongoose hair.
What we hear as consumers is natural hair paintbrushes , but we don’t really look into what source is that natural hair brush is coming from . It takes nearly 25 mongooses to gather a kilogram of their hair . Some of the big art supply brands have been relying on them to make brushes for more than over 50 years now.
According to a study in 2019 around 100,000 mongooses were killed to make paintbrushes every year.
The government has taken some measures and actions acting this and the mongoose species have been upgraded to Part II of Schedule II of the Wildlife (Protection ) Act of 1972.
WHAT AS ARTISTS AND CONSUMERS OF PAINT BRUSHES DO TO PREVENT?
- We always have a choice to pick vegan brushes like synthetic brushes made of nylon , rayon and other synthetics.
- We could go a little more eco friendly and buy eco friendly , animal cruelty free brushes .
- We could avoid the buying of the animal hair brushes and that might stop it’s market thereby stopping the production.
WHERE THERE IS A WILL , THERE IS ALWAYS A WAY !
We could always find harmless and sustainable ways to pick products to use. Our whole lifestyle and its impact on this world revolves around how we make each choice . We could always choose the best option with our best intentions to make the world and our living a better place. It does not take much efforts , it is simply a choice.
WHAT ARE SOME OF THE OTHER SUSTAINABLE AND ECO FRIENDLY ART CHOICES ?
1. We can always go for gummed tapes that are biodegradable instead of cello tapes.
2. We could go for recycled paper .
3.We could opt for water-based paints, plant- and mineral-based pigments, and other nontoxic options. You can find water-soluble, also known as water-miscible, oil paints.
4. Pencils and brushes with wooden shaft than plastics.
There are numerous ways !!!
Here is a video link of the paint brush made from mongoose documenting.
It is therefore important we take responsibility in our choices and wisely contribute to the world for good.